Massage For Babies With Down Syndrome - The benefits of massage is indisputable today also massage between parents and babies turns into something mutual benefits for both parties, benefits both the person who receives it as to which provides it.
At birth a link increases as parents share time and experiences with their babies is created. Creating a space, an atmosphere and an attitude encourages 'contact', so important to the creation of bonding. The relationship between parents and children therefore will benefit from the 'attachment' and 'affection'.
Benefits of massage for children with Down Syndrome
Assimilating the birth of a child with Down syndrome or any other capacity, it is often not easy, especially when the diagnosis is unexpected. The first few days, and even months are the hardest for their parents, often appearing phase of guilt and rejection.
- Teach parents certain sensory massage techniques and to raise awareness apply them regularly will help them to strengthen their relationship and help them bond with your baby from the first day through touch and communication, both verbal and non-verbal. This certainly is a good start to re-establish the bond with our little one.
- Massage and the context in which it is carried in the baby produce a multisensory stimulation. The technique applied massage, light, temperature, music, posture, the materials used, voice, touch, and the expression of parents are factors that stimulate relaxation, motor function or sensitivity baby.
How to give a massage to a baby with Down Syndrome
The benefits you get a baby with Down syndrome are exactly the same as another baby without the syndrome, so if our baby is constipated will apply the massage applied in the abdomen to ease bowel movements, but also in the case of these babies, in applying the infant massage techniques have to take into account the following:
1. We begin with energetic but gentle movements from the distal to the proximal members with a constant frequency or alternating zone, ending with a very smooth drainage members. With this we will stimulate circulation and spontaneous mobility of the baby, plus muscle tone. Babies with Down syndrome usually present at birth lower than normal muscle tone (hypotonia), sagging, and tend to excessive joint flexibility
2. We will stretch the facial muscles. Stretch out the front, masajearemos the outer masticatory muscles and the orbicular muscles of the lips. This will achieve stimulate gesticulation, body awareness and facial muscle tone.
3. As a preventive measure and treatment in the early stages will make 'soft clapping' (percussion with hollow hands palms upward) and vibration to prevent accumulation of mucus in babies. This technique helps the baby to expel secretions. In infants with Down syndrome, due to its generalized hypotonia, cough intensity is decreased as the muscles involved in breathing and coughing is also hypotonic.
4. In infants with hypotonia is very useful technique to perform abdominal preventively facilitating intestinal motility and stool, in addition to the accumulation of gases. We gently feel the baby's abdomen to look gases (which tend to accumulate on the left side) and then perform the abdominal massage.
5. We will apply the orofacial technique, encouraging the mobility of the tongue, the start of chewing and swallowing. To do an intraoral stimulation is performed with gentle pressure on gums and perioral stimulation of primary reflexes. This technique is intended to achieve a constant and constructive general mobility, reduce discomfort from teething and chewing movements stimulate early.
It is important that massage what made the parent of the baby to strengthen the emotional bonding between parent and baby. We will never forcibly or for the baby or parents, as the benefits from massage were not realized. If the baby has a fever or bronchitis is better to wait for these techniques, and if the baby is in full digestion we also wait. And finally remember that it is important to consult your doctor before starting child massage to prevent damage or negatively stimulate the baby.